Please feel free to move this post to whichever category you think it best fits in. I am posting it here because I found the bug while configuring, although it affects the frontend and backend.
Like I said previously, I am new to JoomShopping. It seems like a great component overall, but there are a few tweaks to make it excellent. Here is the latest thing I found:
1) Added a new currency, USD.
2) First thing I noticed is there is no way to the currency symbol (more on why that is important later).
3) Configured the USD currency to use "." as the decimal symbol and "," as the thousands separator.
4) Now in the frontend, when you view the cart, the price is displayed as XX.XX, which is correct.
5) In the admin area, when you click products and view the grid, the price is shown as XX,XX. This is not correct! The reason the comma "," is shown here is because it is hardcoded into the file /administrator/components/com_jshopping/views/product_list/tmpl/default.php on line 148. This should be changed to use the choice made in 'Currency' in admin.
6) Referring back to item 2, here is why this is important:
a) Aesthetics. Prices in the US are virtually always displayed as $10.00, not USD10.00, USD 10.00, 10.00USD or 10.00 USD. These last four options are the only choices JoomShopping allows.
b) Trying to work around this limitation, I added a currency with a name "$" (without the quotes). Playing with the title, code, ISO code, etc. I achieved what I wanted... Almost!
c) In the product grid in admin, I saw $XX,XX. Same in the frontend. Great! Uh oh...
d) I tried a test order and attempted to pay via PayPal. I received a message that this merchant did not accept payments in the currency "$". Too funny!
e) Trying to figure out a resolution, I went to look at the PayPal configuration. Surprise!
f) Under 'Options' in admin, there was no 'Payments' link. Completely missing! I tried using a different browser that had never been used to configure this site. No luck. I cleared EVERYTHING from the original browser and still no luck.
g) Wound up uninstalling JoomShopping and then reinstalling it. IMPORTANT NOTE: JoomShopping does not offer an option to retain any data when uninstalling, and thus drops all tables associated with it. VirtueMart is like this, too.
h) After reinstalling JoomShopping, and then uploading my language file and couple other changes unrelated to the currency symbol issue, I had the 'Payments' configuration option back.
So I drafted this big old post with the hopes that:
1) The developers will consider adding a currency symbol in the 'Currencies' configuration.
2) Fix the bug where the admin product grid is hardcoded to use a "," in the price for the decimal.
3) Help anybody else that wonders about these issues, especially trying to add a new currency and having the 'Payments' config option go bye-bye.
This is something I could/would fix in my installation; however, it makes more sense to fix this in the core code so updates do not overwrite it.